The National Resource Center for Patient/Family-Centered Medical Home (NRC-PFCMH) is supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as part of a cooperative agreement between the Maternal and Child Health Bureau (MCHB) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). The following are resources that were developed as part of this cooperative agreement.
New Health Equity Resources
- NEW RESOURCE on how to strengthen relationships with AA and Black families in the medical home setting!
In July 2021, the National Resource Center for Patient/Family-Centered Medical Home (NRC-PFCMH) hosted a virtual roundtable discussion focused on identifying recommendations for pediatricians to build stronger relationships with African American and Black families of children and youth with special health care needs (CYSHCN) within the medical home model of care. Participants of the roundtable included African American and Black families and caregivers of CYSHCN, members from the NRC-PFCMH Health Equity Subcommittee (Title V representatives, pediatricians, families of CYSHCN) and other key NRC-PFCMH stakeholders. Two resources were developed from the virtual roundtable to highlight the critical need to ensure African American and Black CYSHCN and their families receive family-centered and culturally effective care through the medical home model.
- The roundtable executive summary captures the practical strategies and recommendations the NRC-PFCMH can implement to support building stronger relationships between pediatricians and African American and Black families of CYSHCN served in their clinic or practice.
- Graphic illustrators provide a visual representation of the discussion by capturing key themes and topics that reinforce the importance of equitable collaborations, care coordination, and culturally effective care for building stronger partnerships between pediatricians and African American and Black families of CYSHCN.
- Health Equity Logic Model
The National Resource Center for Patient/Family-Centered Medical Home developed a health equity logic model, outlining key activities, stakeholders and anticipated outcomes to support the increase of African American and Black children and youth with special health care needs and their families receiving care through a family-centered, equitable, and culturally competent medical home.
- Health Equity Literature Review Table
Developed by the National Resource Center for Patient/Family-Centered Medical Home (NRC-PFCMH), the health equity literature review table outlines recent publications pertaining to children and youth with special health care needs (CYSHCN) and children with disabilities (CWD) through the lens of equity and medical home. The table provides a snapshot of peer-reviewed research and other articles, highlighting the critical need for CYSHCN, CWD and their families who experience barriers and with less resources to receive care through the family-centered medical home model.